Thursday, February 21, 2013

AGGRESSIVE

"This is aggressive." That's what the doctor said when she handed me a copy of a modified Paleo diet. I've accepted a three month mission to wellness. Including cutting all grains out of my eating. In addition to about a kazillion other things. It's important to me. It's important to my life. It's important to my well being. 

Aggressive. I can go there. Being a middle child, I'm usually a bit more passive. Should I point fingers at my birth order for that? In an effort to be kind, I won't resort to pointing fingers.

Aggressive. The word I will need to repeat every day at the gym when I'm pushing another weight machine around, or doing another 15 minutes on the eliptical. Or when it's time to take the dog for a walk up hill, both ways.

Aggressive.  Not the way to win when working on a potter's wheel. Last night, I sat down wondering if I had lost my touch (that, after a frustrating night of trimming bowls on Monday.) It appears there's something to be said for "not overthinking it" and just doing what you're supposed to do. Work with the clay, the wheel, gravity, instincts, and faith.  One small and one large bowl later, I was in awe. But there's still much to accomplish. 


Small bowl - my favorite from the Winter session at the Archie Bray.   My instructor helped me see new ways - and introduced the concept of a a complete thought of shape from the inside.  Playing with the glaze overlay is always unpredictable. You rarely know how it will go in the kiln. Growing more confident in my throwing every week - looking forward to the Spring Session to continue.


No comments:

Post a Comment